Thursday, January 27, 2005

Questions out of (and concerning) the Blue

Sometimes when my mind starts to wander, I think of crazy questions just out of the blue. Although I will probably never get most of them answered, it is still fun to ponder the "What if...?"s and the "Why...?"s. Here are a couple of my more resent queries:

When one walks outside during a cold winter day, they can see the cloud that their warm, moist breath makes as it hits the cold, dry air. This is a common phenomenon that most people have born witness to, but what happens when the opposite is true? What would happen if a blast of cold, dry air were to enter a warm, moist room, such as a bathroom after someone has taken a long, hot shower? Would the moisture in the warm air condense when it interacts with the cold air, forming a small cloud? Or would one only be able to feel the cold air without ever seeing anything?

Does everyone see the world in the same way? When I look at a cream-colored wall, am I seeing it in the same way as the person standing next to me staring at the exact same wall? Is the world a darker tint to some people than it is to others? Do some people literally see the world through rose-tinted lenses? Is my definition of blue as I see it the exact same as everyone else's? We know that some people are completely color-blind, while other people are only partially so, but are we all colorblind to some extent? I have been told that people with light-colored eyes are more sensitive to light, so does that mean that my "golden-colored" eyes (I never liked calling them light brown--it seems so plain and drab) see the world as being brighter than someone with dark brown, almost black, eyes?

No comments: