Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Humbling Facts

The death toll from the earthquake and tsunamis in the countries in and around the Indian Ocean has now reached almost 80,000 people, and there are speculations that it may even reach 100,000. These numbers are completely mindboggling for me. Last night, as I was driving around, I saw a sign that was supposed to say "Merry Christmas," but the last half of the first word were unlit. Instead, it proclaimed the phrase, "Me Christmas," which I am afraid is what it has become of late. We get the presents, we get to eat lots of good food made just for us, we want snow to make it beautiful for us, and we fail to grasp the fact that the season is ultimately about love for others and not about our selfish wants. This tragedy on the other side of the world has reminded me of the fact that there are so many people besides me in this world whom I should be putting before myself and my many unneccessary wants, which is a very humbling experience.

No comments: