Friday, December 31, 2004

A Fortunate Event

I went to the theater to see the movie "Leminy Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events" expecting to not like it very much. I could not imagine sitting through two hours of things going wrong absolutely all the time, but went anyway just to see what it was like. Thankfully, this experience was not the torture that I had predicted, and I actually ended up enjoying the movie much more than I expected. I loved the two eldest children, Violet and Klaus, and felt that I could identify more with Klaus than I have with most other characters in the many movies that I have seen. He loved to read books and glean knowledge from them, not because he was forced to by those in authority over him, but because he really enjoyed it. Normally, this type of character would be painted as being an outcast nerd whom nobody likes and nobody wants to get to know. This time, however, his "nerdiness" was shown as being something really cool that helped the children get out of their difficult situations. It was not as though his sister Violet just sat back and watched while Klaus rescued them, though. Instead, her inventiveness saved the day probably more often than Klaus' knowledge. The characters were not the only reasons why this movie appealled to me, but also the main theme that ran throughout the movie. The children never complained about how bad their situation was and how everything just seemed to go wrong for them, many times becoming even worse than it was. They always looked out for each other, risking their own lives to save those of their siblings. They learned that there is always a way out of the trouble that they were in and that going through difficult situations would, in the end, make them better people. In the end, I did not find the movie very depressing at all, as I thought I would, but found hope and encouragement from the three Baudelaire children and their series of unfortunate events.

No comments: