Friday, August 31, 2007

An Arachniphobe's Nightmare

A state park in northern Texas is home to a recent phenomenon that will send shivers up the spines of any sane, spider-fearing citizen. There is a network of spiderwebs enveloping several trees and bushes along a 200 yard long stretch of trail within the park. It seems that this giant network of web-spinners is very rare and entomologists have yet to discover what has caused these particular spiders to do what they have done. Being an avid spider fearer/hater myself, I found watching a video of the phenomenon to be rather disturbing. There was one part in particular that caused me great worry. At the end of the video, a lady had one of the eight-legged construction workers of terror crawling on her hand and she was calmly asking it if it was going to bite her. I wanted to tell her, no, yell at her to drop it, kill it, squash it, and run! That is one part of nature that I have no desire to experience. I will postpone any further plans to travel to Texas or any portion of the southern United States until those...things...are gone. Until further notice, I am moving to the Arctic, the only place of safety on earth where there are no insects or arachnids of any shape, size, or form.

No comments: