Saturday, April 23, 2005

The Bard's Birthday

April 23, 1564. Historians believe that was the date, 441 years ago, on which one of the most famous men in history was born. Throughout his lifetime, William Shakespeare wrote approximately 38 plays and as well as 154 sonnets. Shakespeare-online says that, even today, "Shakespeare is the most widely read author in English speaking countries. His works are second only to the Bible in popularity." His birthday comes at a fitting time, as I am currently reading his tragedy "Othello." It is the sad tale of a general, Othello, who is tricked by his "friend," Iago--as revenge for not being made a lieutenant--into thinking that his wife Desdemona and good friend Cassio are having an affair behind his back . Othello ends up killing his wife right before finding out that Iago was lying to him and his wife was completely faithful the entire time. Not all of Shakespeare's stories were as tragic as that one, and, in fact, he wrote many comedies and historical plays as well, which are, in my opinion, much more enjoyable. Happy Birthday, Will!

6 comments:

muchacho said...

I am not that which you think I am.
-Iago

Becky said...

Act 1, Scene 1, line 67?

muchacho said...

Is that where it is? Correct me if I'm incorrect on the quote, it's just something I remembered from reading it.

Becky said...

Act 1, scene 1, line 67 has Iago saying, "I am not what I am." Is that the line that you were thinking of? What did you think of the play?

Becky said...

btw, I think that your version sounds better. :)

muchacho said...

Yeah, I guess you have the correct line. I didn't think I butchered it so badly.

I remember liking the play, but its been about three years since I last read it, so it's hard to recall the details. I do think it's worth the time to read & understand his plays.