Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Why Do I Write?

A man named Jesse Stuart once said, "Write something to suit yourself and many people will like it; write something to suit everybody and scarcely anyone will care for it." This is something that has been plaguing me lately, and is one of the reasons that I have not written much on my blog recently. Why am I writing this blog? I began it as a way to express my thoughts about the world around me, even if nobody else wanted to listen. That was really the only goal that I had in mind, and I do not expect my tiny corner of the internet to amount to much other than as a medium for me to write what I think about pretty much anything. Thus, this blog has no real focus to it. The subjects of my posts cover a broad spectrum, ranging from politics and government to nature, and everything in between. Of course, my thoughts and opinions are still constantly changing and being formed, so the things I say are not always definitive statements and I am open to hearing other opinions and reasonings that are different from my own. I have yet to find a single person who has all of the answers to everything and who is right 100 percent of the time, and thus I am ready to admit my own failings. It is difficult for me to give in sometimes due simply to pride and selfishness, two of my many shortcomings, but I am constantly on a search for the truth. One of my biggest obstacles in writing on my blog is not a lack of thoughts, but the voice in the back of my head that tells me not to offend anyone, to only write what would interest others. But that fear of offending keeps anything from being written and thus, as Jesse Stuart so wisely instructed, I am going to try to ignore what others may think and write about, as was my original purpose, the things that interest me, even if they interest no one else. I hope that everything that I have just said makes sense.

No comments: