Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Touch of the Master's Hand


I know this may seem like a rather inane thing to write about after not writing for so long, but I believe there is more to the story than at first meets the eye.  Another marvelous work of art by the master artist Leonardo da Vinci has been discovered.  It is the beautiful portrait of a young woman, aptly entitled La Bella Principessa, or, in the modern English vernacular, The Beautiful Princess.  The drawer of the masterpiece was discovered not merely through the typical examination of technique and artistry, but it was something much more compelling that caused art experts to declare it a pukka work of art attributed to da Vinci.  A finger and palm print were found on the drawing, prints that matched others on known works by da Vinci.  The indisputable evidence of a fingerprint caused the painting's value to suddenly jump from around $19,000 to somewhere in the neighborhood of $150,000, solely because of who created it. 

Seeing the article on the drawing got me to thinking that this story could be more than just one of misplaced credit for the creation of a chalk, ink, and pencil drawing.  I've been told that since God the Father is the King, it makes me a princess, a princess like the one in the picture.  What gives me my value?  The fact that God the Master Artist has left his fingerprint on me in the process of creating me and I am His.  Were the drawer of the portrait merely a "common" artist as had previously been thought, the drawing's worth would have been very minimal.  It is because of who masterminded it, sketched it, and brought it to fruition and life that changed everything.  So many times our existence as human beings is attributed to chance and Mother Nature.  However, God's fingerprint in the design and beauty with which He created us is a clear mark and unmistakable evidence that we are his workmanship and, because of that, we are priceless. 
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.  When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body.  All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
Psalm 139:13-16


No comments: